Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Shivita’s Animal Planet Series

I always follow the development of this series by Shivita, and finally in April she finished her “Animal Planet” series, and I wish to comment it in my blog.

The series is basically the planets of the solar system (and their moons) as anime-style animals. Symbolism appears a lot in her art, and the reason behind the choice of the animals is pretty deep. Her knowledge about the solar system and astrology are not bad either! :D

So let’s see how she did all the planets.

Animal Planet - Mercury

Mercurio – the Hopping Mouse
A small desert animal, very appropriate since it lives in a hot place and it has a small size. Also depicted is the animal wearing a bell accessories supposedly made of quicksilver, the metal for planet Mercury. Well everybody knows quicksilver evaporates in temperature extreme Mercury, but people do try to make a bell from Mercury, I think Shivita is actually inspired by this YouTube video: watch?v=8mJEsj3N50o

 

Animal Planet - Venus

Venus – the Swan
She depicts the swan in a sinister look, relating it to the extreme condition in Venus. The swan does look a bit like a phoenix here, a fiery animal … so I think it’s cool how she can represent the femininity of Venus and the raging hot surface of Venus with a swan. I also try to find a metal of Venus here, the copper, or at least a mirror (since copper is made into a mirror in the past, and Venus really likes mirrors). Oh well the swan will becomes too weird if it holds a mirror.

 

Animal Planet - Earth

Earth – the Hippocampus
Since Earth is a water planet, she makes the horse with a fish tail, the Hippocampus! It holds flowers, and I think there’s seaweed on her foot. Earth often represents fertility, so the plants as a symbol of life really is appropriate.!!!!!!! Anyway, why earth? why not Tierra ?? :)
Moon – the Rabbit
Rabbit has always been associated with the moon, especially in Japan. The Japanese folklore tells of a rabbit that makes rice cakes on the moon. I’m trying to find the element silver on the rabbit. I guess its the earring, and her silver eyes. Cool.

 

Animal Planet - Mars

Marte – The Ram
Extremely appropriate, Mars the planet of Aries is well represented by a ram. I think he’s supposedly wearing an armor made of iron, which is the metal of Mars. His eyes is red, the color of Mars.
Phobos and Deimos – The Rat and the Mouse
Very cute Panic and Fear. The reason behind the eye’ color is from Disney Movies Hercules Pain and Panic (their color is purple and green). Since the symbolism of Phobos and Deimos in Greek myth is very limited, I say what the heck XD

 

Animal Planet - Jupiter

Jupiter – The Lion
Jupiter is the most important god, so she chooses the most “important” animal, the lion. Lion is actually no where being a symbol of Jupiter. If there is a sun, I would choose an eagle for Jupiter, replaces Ganymede with a falcon probably, and make a golden lion for the sun. But for some reason, this brownish lion is very fit for Jupiter. Jupiter’ metal is the tin, and this lion holds something on his tail that looks like a thunderbolt, but grey in color. Probably that’s the tin :P
Io – The Calf
Zeus changed Io into a calf to protect her from Hera’s wrath. Io is the most active body in the Solar System, but Io the calf seems a bit timid. She should have made the calf looks tormented or angry, because Io was extremely compressed by the gravity of Jupiter and the neighbor moons. I really like the color tho.
Europa – The Serval
I really thought Europa is a weasel or ermine, which is a snowy creature, and the fact that Europa is an icy world with some part of the surface is as bright as a fallen snow, so yea probably it’s a weasel. But no, this Europa is the serval, a spotted wild cat in Africa. I never thought that there are actually white servals in the wild, a rare kind of serval, not albino, just different coloration, which is very much Europa’s coloration.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/06/WhiteServalPharaoh.jpg 
Ganymede – The Eagle
Ganymede is the eagle, because Ganymede is abducted by Zeus in an eagle form. I feel like she should choose something else and not an eagle, although the regal eagles does suits Ganymede’s large size.
Callisto – The She Bear
Callisto, naturally a she bear, because she was transformed into a she bear by Zeus.

 

Animal Planet - Saturn

Saturno – The Stag
Capricorn, the zodiac sign of Saturn, represents structure and order. But since a goat-like animal is already represented here(Martian ram), she chooses a stag to represent Saturn. I never thought of a stag, but it perfectly matches the original symbolism of Saturn to represent order. I’m glad she didn’t choose elephant to represent Saturn. BUT, I think the stag needs a bit more accessory around, like the planets before him. I think a chain lead is very nice, since Saturn is the planet of restriction.
Enceladus – The Arctic Fox 
Enceladus is probably the whitest object in the solar system, having the same albedo as a newly fallen snow. It produces “snows” from its ice volcano and affects the color of the moons around it (that’s why most of Saturnian moon is white-colored). Arctic fox is a great animal for Enceladus. 
Tethys – The Sea Otter
Tethys is the goddess of the sea, so she chooses sea otter for this. Otter does associated with feminine cult and water in Native American myth, so I guess it’s ok.
Dione – The Heron
She chooses heron because she see Dione as the mother of Aphrodite, so it has to be something water-bird-ish (because Aphrodite is a swan), so she chooses Heron. Phoenix is sometimes depicted as a heron, and since Shivita’s swan of Venus looks very much like the phoenix, I think it’s great.
Rhea – The Lioness
Lion is one of the attribute for Rhea. So it will be lion for Rhea, nice.
Titan – The Dinosaur
I like how she chooses a primordial animal for Titan since Titan condition is said to be similar with the primordial condition of the Earth, so it’s very fitting.
Iapetus – The Coati
Wow, I never thought coatis have same colorations with Iapetus. 

 

Animal Planet - Uranus

Urano – The Amphithere
Since Uranus is the god of the sky, she wanted all the animals in the system to have feathery wings. Since Uranus is a “freak” planet of Aquarius, I see all the member of this system to be a bit weird and unique, so I think it’s very fitting!
Miranda – Winged Wounded She-Wolf
Miranda from the Tempest by Shakespeare is strong but naive, and an emotional girl. I think a wounded she-wolf is a great idea lol.
Ariel – The Dove; and Umbriel – The Raven
I think I see Ariel and Umbriel similarly as Shivita see these moons: Ariel is a light spirit, while Umbriel is an underground spirit. Umbriel is the darkest major moon of Uranus while Ariel is the brightest Uranus’ satellite (even though still relatively dark compared to Saturn’s moon). She makes it a dove and a crow, nice!
Titania – Female Dinosaur
She relates the animal of Titania with the animal of Titan, so Titania is a feathered dinosaur (well in fact, it is probably true that most Dinosaurs are feathered, like Velociraptor. But I don’t know what kind of Dinosaur is this.
Oberon – Pegasus
Oberon sounds great, so she chooses Pegasus to represent Oberon. I found less association with the true Oberon on this one, but Oberon does reminds me of Bellerophon, the guy who rides on Pegasus’ back. So it’s cool.

 

Animal Planet - Neptune

Neptuno – The Humpback Whale
The ocean logically. But why not the blue whale? But I always see it as a blue whale, so no problem.
Triton – The Swordfish 
For some reason it reminds me a bit of my character for Triton, which is a bit “edgy” despite of his relation with watery Neptune. So I think swordfish is a good idea too. 
Proteus – The Seal
Proteus stays on the Island of Pharos, where he herds the seals of Poseidon. Very nice!
Larissa – The Dolphin
I’m becoming a complainer with this one. Why Larissa? Why not Nereid? I mean Nereid is much larger than Larissa (340 km, compared to 190 km), and it was even discovered much more earlier than Larissa is, like 40 years earlier. Nereid also has a character: it has one of the most eccentric orbit of any object in the solar system, much like the orbit of a comet. I think I know the reason, it probably because currently there is no decent image of Nereid.  

 

Animal Planet - Pluto

Pluto – The Bat
She knows pretty well about Pluto not being a planet anymore, but I think she’s pretty reasonable to put Pluto in the series. She knows that Pluto is included in astrology (so why don’t you draw the sun as well!!!!!!). Anyway, Pluto is a bat because she wanted something dark but not necessarily bad. So a bat will be Pluto.
I think at this point Shivita have forgotten that the planets are supposed to wear “accessories”. it looks very different when you go back to Mercury. But it’s cool, because her art is great.
Charon – The Firefly
Charon is the firefly and Pluto’s companion in the dark space, so they are both friends. Lol you know Pluto have more friends now, Hydra and Nyx. But I think none of them beats the connection between Pluto and Charon. ;)

 

Overall I’m really excited with her art. That’s why I put it in my blog. I think she should have a look at Denis Moskowitz’s site for the glyph of the other moons (since she used all the glyph of our Luna for all of the moons), that way each moon will have their own symbol.

I am still anticipating for the very last art she’s going to make for this series. I guess it’s going to be a everything combined in a picture, but for now I’m still waiting XD

 

Link:

Shivita’s deviant art http://shivita.deviantart.com/

Denis Moskowitz Site: http://www.suberic.net/~dmm/graphics/astro/moons.html

Copyright all belongs to Shivita (Silvia Elizabeth)

8 comments:

  1. These creatures are so beautiful! I have never seen the planets and their moons in such a unique way! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silvia Elizabeth,the animal symbols for all 9 planets are so Cute!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice one this is awesome the animals are so cute

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG i love these pics!! im even drawing them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. totaly cool im gonna tell all my friends

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE IT!!! THX A LOT :)

    ReplyDelete