Sunday, October 27, 2013

Gravity (2013) – Spoiler Alert

Do not read when you haven’t watched the movie.

gr_t940source: U-T San Diego

Beautiful movie in its surreal depiction of space, something that most of us will never experience for the rest of our pathetic life. I LOVE this movie (watched this in IMAX 3D), even though it gets a bit boring in the middle, especially the part when Sandra and George (can’t remember the astronauts’ name in the movie) drift from Hubble to ISS.

 

  tumblr_mv9bdx5hBI1qa1rooo1_500Source: Work Hard Play Hardest

Sure there are inaccuracies, but who care? I do!!! (haha) but in this case, the inaccuracy doesn’t kill the realism of the movie. I mean, it’s not a documentary, it’s a movie! And you don’t watch movies merely to look for the mistakes, do you? I say this movie is as close as it gets to an accurate depiction of microgravity environment. This reminds me of the movie Armageddon, one of the space-themed movie which I hate because of its horrible depiction of space: fire on asteroid? jumping? yelling? wth.  

 

Here are some memorable scenes for me:

 

GRAVITYBeautiful space. Source: Space 

1. The beginning of the movie, with Clooney hovering around a shuttle while listening to a country music. He reminds me of Buzz Lightyear for some reason.

 

 

2. The first collision. Love how the lack of sound makes the explosion more horrifying. You can see all the scrappy details as Hubble and the shuttle seems like falling down to Earth in the background. Poor Sandra has to deal with all the mess.

 

3. The emptiness. The trailer of Sandra catapulted into empty space was traumatizing, but after seeing it again and again in Youtube, it gets old. When I watched the movie I was like “yeah, saw that in the trailer”. Still, love it when the sun light turns white, red, and then black as Sandra moved further into the night side, and the moon rises… really cool.

 

gravity-2k-hd-trailer-stills-movie-bullock-cuaron-clooney-28Dead astronaut. Source: Cinema Vine

4. I jumped when a dead astronaut appears from the mangled cockpit and the music got really loud. Dead Space came into my mind. And then: THEY MUST MAKE A DEAD SPACE MOVIE!

 

gravity-2k-hd-trailer-stills-movie-bullock-cuaron-clooney-1IInterior of the ISS. Source: Cinema Vine

5. Sandra reached ISS and jump from point to point. Dead Space! Also there’s this floating fire and mechanical pencils floating around in the abandoned station. Very cool.

 

gravity-2k-hd-trailer-stills-movie-bullock-cuaron-clooney-20rtuk_feature_wall-e_02Source: Cinema Vine, Rotten Tomatoes

6. Sandra using a fire extinguisher? Wall-E?

 

Gravity-Image-2Source: Ashvegas

7. The ISS destroyed and fell. OMG the details… the orange parachute helps :D!

 

tumblr_mv6q8eCXJb1splamro1_1280Source: Shuanganigans

8. Let’s get philosophical! Sandra’s fetus-like position in the ISS, the lullaby, the watery scene, and Sandra merging from the water to walk. Holy metaphor!

 

Overall, I LOVE this movie. The simple plot makes the movie seems more realistic. There’s even moral in the end of the story! I learned that some people think that the plot is too short and simple, but personally I don’t really want a Shyamalan style plot for Gravity. To me, the simplicity of the plot actually add a good value for the movie. So I really LOVE this movie! That’s an A from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment